since i am in the process of applying for a job, trying to get hired somewhere, i find myself in a frenzy trying to get some things accomplished at home. i have a strong desire to start my own container garden on my lanai. i have been doing some research, and have concluded that i want to make my own compost. so, i am in search of some worms. yes, worms. who would've thought that someday, someone would create a thriving business selling worms?? yes, that day has come and gone, and these days you can buy a pound of worms for a whopping $160!?! (the price quote from one particular source) i am pretty sure that compost can be made sans worms, but the process just takes a little longer. the great thing about composting is that it helps in cutting back on wastes we dispose of everyday, and turns it into reusable "gardener's gold" that helps plants thrive. you can compost newspaper, cardboard, old mail, eggshells, and fruit and vegetable remnants. i am interested in planting some zuchinni, tomatoes, wild strawberries, some cooking herbs, flowers, peppers, arugula, and a lemon bush, i've started a list. ambitious, yes, but not entirely impossible. i am hoping to find some worms for cheap. til then, i will attempt the composting without them. wish me luck!
and whoever is interested: tomorrow (tuesday, sept. 30, at 6:30 pm in the kahuku library) there will be a little plant seminar by a botanist who will share tips for growing and caring for flowers and plants. and it's FREE!
9.29.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



15 comments:
we could send some worms with jess, there's plenty here my brothers would be more than happy to dig up...?
makana says, "you don't need worms for compost, you need a flux capacitator!"
what a good idea!! I would look into that but I don't know how well I would actually do in keeping up with it. Good luck and have fun!! I hate worms! ew!
well, makana, what the hell IS a "flux capacitator"??!! i'll google it.
okay, i googled it, and that didn't help. is that a line from a movie?
yeah, aunty, i called him and he said it was from 'back to the future'. i don't remember it. but then again, it's been YEARS since i last saw it. makana...
aunty, what's you email address? i'll add you to the family one.
You are rad. I wish I had the patience to set up a garden like this, with or without a flux capacitator:)
I can't believe your family is taking off and to Alaska of all places. I'm shocked. I'll feel less sorry for myself in Utah in January. Alaska might be a little rough. I know how you feel losing all your family in Hawaii. Hope you and Doug last longer there than we did. See you some friday soon I hope:)
at velzy's lil preschool a lady came and did a demonstration with the worms, so cool. i got to hold a huge moving crazy pile of worms, it was so cool. and cool that it didn't even smell to compost everything. to bad it is so stinkin expensive to start, i wanted to do that too!
good luck with the garden, you can do it!
you are a step ahead of me. you will have to show me how to get it all set up as soon as we get moved and settled. i am way excited to do it.
i won't be able to make it to the kahuku thing cause i made other plans but maybe you could take notes or learn lots and share your knowledge with me. you are awesome!
ashley, yeah, i think it's awesome that the worms make the compost pile not stink. i found that at olomana farms in waimanalo, i can get a lb. of worms for $40. i am trying to make arrangements to get some. beats the other price i found. i am gonna use a container from walmart and then buy a bed of worms and start composting. the good thing about it all is that the worms reproduce, so maybe i can share, once my worm ball gets big enough. if it gets to that point, ashley and echo, i'll share my worms with you!
I you'd like to, visit our Relief Society Blog and visit the Gadren club site. http://kapaa2sisters.blogspot.com My parents are very "gung-ho" about gardening lately, and have a bunch of sites for Hawaii gardening. Good for you, by the way! :D
are you doing the square foot gardening?
I cannot believe they are that expensive!! they have to be cheaper somewhere else!
that is crazy for worms!
good luck with the garden! starting a garden is something that intimidates me beyond believe. your my hero! :)
We totally have worms. How could I get them to you? We got them from my brother Jesse. I think he got them for free on Craigslist (in Irvine). They are cool. Good luck with the garden.
Post a Comment