
kalei's baby bump
ALASKA!!!
Into the wild they go. I knew this day would come. I've been prepared. But now that it is here, I feel like I am in denial about it. It won't hit me til they are gone. For so long it was all of us (me, my younger four sisters, my older brother, and my parents) living at our house in Kahuku. Same old, same old: went to elementary school down the road, majority of us graduating from Kahuku High, and then had the college experience right smack in Laie town at BYU-H. 4 years ago I got married and started having babies. But everything else was pretty much the same. Then last November things began to change. My brother got married and moved to Utah, this past February Kalei got married and in late June took off and relocated to Southeastern Colorado. At the end of July, Alohi reported to the MTC to prepare for her mission in Korea. And then at the end of August, Jessyca decided to go and stay with my brother's family for a time. It is now late September and my parents and Angela need to report to Anchorage no later than January 11, 2009. I keep reminding myself that change is good. It means progress, right? So right now my parents are in the process of preparing to sell our dear house; sifting through everything, what to take and what to toss. It is bittersweet, and me and Doug are already making plans to visit them, once they get settled there. I am happy to see them doing what their heart desires, now that the nest is pretty much empty. It just makes me sad because everyone will be gone. I will be here alone. Me and my little family. I am grateful for the remnants of my extended family who remain, and I am grateful to have new friends in my life (you know who you are, and yes, I mean you - all you beach Friday gals and kids), to help fill the void. I never really relied on friendship before, always had my mom and sisters around. This is just a whole new experience for me, as for my family and their new ventures on the mainland. Life goes on; we adjust and make-do and we survive. Knowing this is a comfort. I know that this will force me to grow independently, which is a good thing, instead of relying so much on my parents and family.
*oh, and Doug is much, much better. I don't know if it is too soon to say that the rest of us remained unscathed by the barf-bug (knock-on-wood...)




9 comments:
awww! That's so sad! I can't believe your parents are going to sell their house!! You guys should just move in!! haha. Man, I wish I could come with you guys to beach on Friday...darn work! Well have fun and hope your husband gets better soon!!
yay! I'm glad we're friends!
you have such a good attitude about his whole moving stuff! Way better than I would have.
Alaska is so much different than Hawaii! It will be fun for you guys to visit them there. I've always wanted to go there, cause Chad is from there.
glad to hear doug is doing better- that seriously sounded rough!
and HOLY ALASKA!!!! oh my goodness- that will be a change for sure, but it sounds like some great things are happening in your family right now.
and we do need a toddler bed at some point- if you find someone right away then go ahead and go for that- because we are going to give it a little time and then try him on this little mattress we have and then go for the bed eventually (mostly i am lazy and kind of like that i have a good thing going with him crawling into bed on his own)... so yeah, if you still have it around then then i'll hit ya up- but if you find someone sooner i wouldnt want to deny you free space in your house- i certainly know how precious that is!
thanks friend.
oh yeah, and at first i was like BABY BUMP!!! What??? she's pregnant!!?! and then i read a little closer haha.
alaska huh? that is far. you are gonna be alright. it's gonna be rough, but it's gonna make you grow. way to go on the good attitude. see you friday!
and tell your mom i will take her house off her hands for her, i think i have a twenty in my wallet.
wow liko that is crazy-i was so sad when my parents sold the house we had grown up in-but life happens and we start our own families create our own homes and make our own lives. tell your parents I said hi and congratulations
Wow! Crazy changes. I hate change too. I think it's always good later, but while I'm going through it, man, do I fight it! Good luck with everything, Liko. And I will see you tomorrow at Beach Day because the bookmobile's still broken (oh sad and happy at the same time!).
Liko, send me you email address so I can FINALLY email you that pani popo recipe! Sorry it's taken so long!
Hawaii to Alaska is pretty crazy, huh? I understand the whole living away from family thing. We'll still be here in good 'ol Pearl City --- we'd love to see you anytime :)!!!
Post a Comment