remember how i wanted to learn how to sew? well, tonight i am pleased to announce that i just finished sewing a skirt for Faith (let's all just have a moment of silence to commemorate and soak up the significance of this event for a sec).
{okay, that'll do. thanks.}
so, i really love it. in the process, i have come to realize that i need clarification on certain things, for future reference (i.e. how to stitch the edges of elastic together and a translator to help interpret the instructions for patterns because sometimes i don't get the lingo or the picture that goes with it). other than that, i am pleased and my confidence is growing with the realization that i actually sewed something.
(i will post pictures as soon as my hubby returns with the camera! love you, doug!)





11 comments:
I am learning how to sew right now too. It is so fun. I love it. All I've sewn so far is pajama pants. I've sewn 4 pairs. Two turned out and the other two didn't.
Liko, all you have to do with the elastic is to overlap and pull so that you can get that overlap under the foot of sewing machine to stitch. You can sew just straight down or sew two stitches, one near each end. What you have to make sure about is that you have allowed for the amount of overlap, not causing it to be too tight for the waist. Not clear? Call...
mama, i think my waistband (the material) was too long because it was hard for me to hold it open to sew straight down on the elastic. i think i learned my lesson...
wooooohoooooo!!!! yeah!! alright!
way to go liko girl!!!!
seriously.
that is awesome. i sewed a little measly headband and i felt like i was the shiz.
a skirt= AWESOME!
i wanna see it! bring it tomorrow? to the beach? no? ok, i'll come over sometimes and see it.
and WHERE?? did you get those awesome craft room photos- it's like a magical dream come true or something. I WANT THAT EXACT ROOM AND THAT EXACT DRAWER... brilliant.
sometimes=sometime
but i'll come over sometimessss too- haha!
yay!!! i can't wait to see the finished product. lets have a sewing day!! i love sewing.
stephanie - i admire that beautiful pale green kitchen on your blog! i stole these from somewhere online. and that picture was labeled 'dream sewing room', similar to your thoughts. and mine. i want a sewing room like that, or like martha stewart, someday...you know, when i get my ranch-style house on some acreage with an apple or peach orchard. yeah, then. and no, a skirt isn't a HUGE deal at all. my mom advised that shorts and skirts are easiest and that i should start with those. haha, so i did. but your headband seriously is awesome. and i will venture into sewing something other than clothes sometime in the future.
great job! love those pictures! and can't wait to see the skirt!
I took a sewing class when I was about 12. I think it ruined me. I hate to sew. I wish I liked it because everyone is so proud of their stuff and because it's such a great thing to learn, but I hate it. I actually do like to make quilts though...tie quilts. I'm very proud of you! YOU GO GIRL!
that is REALLY cool! can't wait to see it!
oh, that's exciting Liko. I like to sew as well, but we had to leave the machine in Hawaii for a while.
This post is really inspiring though. Maybe I'll take knitting up or something.
Can't wait for the pix.
Post a Comment