2.26.2009

tonight i:

1. Sadly reaffirmed the fact that I suck, really suck, at making cupcakes using cake mixes from boxes. Yes, another botched attempt at cupcake-making took place this evening (the first time was when we had that cupcake decorating day, yes Steph, remember how pathetic my cupcakes looked next to yours???{prior to being decorated and beautified} I do. And then there was that time when I made cupcakes for Faith's birthday...). They always seem to turn out either under- or over-cooked (which is what happened tonight). My cakes turn out fine, just my cupcakes are lacking.

and

2. That I suck even more at choosing recipes for homemade frosting that sound and look good, but that's it. i.e., tonight I made Faith try a cupcake with homemade frosting (the recipe which I happened to acquire from a very prestigious magazine, I might add) and after she took one measly bite she stated, "That's disgusting. I don't wanna eat any cupcakes at Malik's party tomorrow." And she dropped it down on the counter and was done. Yep, that pretty much confirmed it for me. Kids are so brutally honest, which is why I ran it by her tonight in the first place. Let's just say I, and my husband, and my kids discovered we are NOT very keen on bittersweet chocolate. Now I know.

5 comments:

echo said...

you are so funny liko- i think your cupcakes at stephs party tasted just fine.
i have a good recipe for frosting if you want it. let me look it up and i will get back to you.

Stephanie said...

Well you must have figured something out cuz whatever you brought today was delicious!! I had two... And a half if you count what amby gave me of his and they were all the bomb :)

Kalei said...

here's the YUMMY chocolate frosting recipe I used for my vanilla cupcakes:

2 3/4 c. confectioners sugar
6 TBS. unsweetened cocoa powder
6 TBS. butter (soft)
5 TBS. evaporated milk (i used milk)
1 tsp. vanilla

In a bowl sift the cocoa and sugar.
In another bowl mix the butter until creamy and gradually beat in sugar mixture alternately with the milk. Then add vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. You can add more sugar-milk to the consistency that you like. (It's good frosting- a keeper)

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA, so funny

Willing 'Ohana said...

You can totally do homemade frosting. If you look up at the Wilton cake decorating website, they have the best buttercream frosting recipe. The best chocolate frosting is just on the back of the unsweetened cocoa can. Hershey's works the best. You're super talented. Don't doubt yourself. Actually I should take my own advice. I'm always asking Kainoa if my food tastes good. Anyways, take care and Happy Belated Birthday to Malik.