10.01.2011

thoughts

We've been able to skype with family this week.  I love seeing and speaking to siblings and parents and getting to know sweet nieces and nephews who live far, far away and are growing up so fast!  Wish we all lived so much nearer to one another, but I'm grateful for technology.

I actually got to spend some time with a few friends this week.  Okay, well, two.  It feels nice because I need that interaction.  I feel the void when I'm lacking the company and uplifting qualities that friends provide and it has been MONTHS -- looong overdue.  It also feels nice to be so comfortable after not seeing one another for a while, however short and sweet the visit.  And despite how busy life can get, nurturing substantial friendships is important to me and I need to MAKE time.

I did my visiting teaching this month.  I feel I have been slacking in that department so when I follow through and do it, I feel really good.

Also jumped back on the fruit co-op bandwagon and seeing a fridge full of delicious produce makes me happy {and healthy}.

The other day, Malik's kindergarten teacher told me that they were talking about what to do if they ever got lost as Goldilocks did.  Malik said he would pray.  His teacher is in my ward and it was so nice to hear that as his honest response.  

It's October 1st already and I need to get crackin' on the kids costumes pronto, otherwise they'll just end up being something really easy and probably lame.  Malik wants to be a zombie and Faith Pocahontas.  Nothing too complicated, but I should still get started ASAP.

Faith is doing really well in school.  She's learning about word problems and borrowing, and she reads books aloud to me, Doug, and Malik at night before bed.

Every Sunday after church, I ask the kids what they learned in Sunday school.  They tell me and we need to work on LIVING what they're learning.  I love when they get weekly challenges from the lessons their teachers have prepared.  They are so enthusiastic about accomplishing them - one week it might be to say your prayers morning and night, another was for Faith to hum her favorite primary song whenever she got upset or angry with family {wouldn't that be awesome if our kids did this instead of fighting??}   

I'm now first counselor in YW and we had a presidency meeting this week that has me feeling excited and hopeful.  Relying on the spirit and the Lord is such an essential part of my life; some days are challenging and require more effort on my part to keep that spirit with me.

I love these last few months of the year because it's HOLIDAY time!!!

Malik found an old wallet and put some of his birthday money in it.  He's making plans on how to spend it and Doug is telling him to save.  Malik started asking me if I had any old credit cards he could put inside.  I didn't, so he cut some out of paper.  

We went to the beach as a family this afternoon and it was nice to get in the water and feel the sunshine warm my skin. 

Malik can swim pretty good now.  He runs and jumps into the pool and swims over to the side.  

This morning, Doug was doing some yoga and Malik joined him.  It was so cute and funny watching Malik get into {semi} lotus pose with his eyes closed, in pure concentration, complete with serene expression on his face.

I love General Conference!! 

I need to visit family on this island - aunties, grandparents, cousins.  My visits are too few and far between.

I need to act on things more.  Pray more.  Read my scriptures, go to the temple, make the most of every second I get with my kids.  Sew a bit.  You know, DO the things I know and say I should be doing. Find time, or rather work on making the most of my time.  Because when I'm doing what I should be, I feel the effects in every aspect of my life.  My days run a lot smoother, the kids don't fight as often, I have more patience, I am a better mother.  The list is endless.

3 comments:

sheila said...

i like your thoughts.

it felt good to go visit teaching for me too, and it's funny we talked about the internet/prioritizing time/reading scriptures/etc... i felt as if conference, especially Sat afternoon, just confirmed everything that we should be doing... as far as spending good time on.

Three cheers for reading scriptures today!

Smiths said...

Now that's a good update. I need to be better at documenting life, not just popping in and blogging whatever is happening at that moment. And the header is rad. I'm glad things are going well for you and your sweet family.

Scotts of Paradise said...

Yes, come and visit. I'm sorry we didn't spend more time together while I wasn't working. But you know how that goes. Get working on those costumes because before you know it, Halloween will be here. Alexis only wants See's Candies and doesn't want to go to Trunk or Treat or a costume. Gotta love my girl. And speaking about the holidays, are you joining us or going to Ho Ho Manor?