5.23.2008

Fire!!!

My ceiling fan burst into flames. Seriously, I kid you not. The whole morning I kept getting a whiff of something that didn't smell quite right. It smelt electrical, like something electrical was short-circuiting or something -- if you happen to know what that smells like. I thought it was a neighbor. Anyways, I was sitting Faith down for some lunch when I heard this crackling sound and I looked up at the fan above the living room and saw smoke. Then flames started licking out from the top of the fan's motor. It was very scary, and I felt like a deer in headlights, frozen, not knowing what to do next. I do happen to have a fire extinguisher (thanks, dad) and was prepared to use it if I had to; not that I know exactly how to use it, but I was ready to attempt to. The fire fizzled out on it's own, thank goodness. Faith witnessed the whole thing and was in awe as to why the fan caught on fire, and why there was a fire inside of our house. I was shaken. Malik missed the entire incident. So now I have a phobia about using my ceiling fans, something I really didn't give a second thought to, until now. I am also paranoid about our house burning down. Thanks to the fan in my living room bursting into flames. Maybe it's yet another reason for getting air-conditioning, as summer is fast-approaching. Beware of ceiling fans, people.

3 comments:

Leilani said...

Woah! I'm glad y'all are ok. That sounds so scary. I have no idea what I would have done.

Anytime is good for a massage, seriously. Day or night, here or there.

karebear said...

That is intense! I would FREEAK OUT! And be majorly paranoid too. Good thinking with the fire extinguisher--I would have left it to the fire fighters haha. Air conditioning in Hawaii? Lucky! =). I think I always paranoid about my hair straightner or the iron being left on...now I'm going to worry about ceiling fans!

Alicia said...

Scary! After reading your post, I was like "Cameron! My friend who just got back from New Zealand... her fan burst into flames!" (I try to keep him updated...lol...) Glad everyone is okay and that you were ready and willing to work that fire extinguisher!