7.09.2009

bats and stuff


today the kiddos had dental appointments. just routine check-ups, maintenance cleanings. faith has been before so she was great. malik was saying he didn't want to see the dentist, but then watched faith do it and didn't want to miss out on anything and did awesome! i was so glad!!! anyways, my appointment is in two weeks. and i am sooo NOT looking forward to it. i haven't been in Y-E-A-R-S, which scares me. i will be hoping for the best, not too many cavities (if any) and no need for any root canals or anything major.

and totally not relating to anything, tonight i swear i saw a bat. me and doug walked up the hill and then he decided to knock some papayas out of a tree (thisclose to midnight, mind you...) with a wooden pole that looked like something you play pool with, except, like, 10x bigger. i saw something fly above my head and it was way bigger than a moth, but way smaller than an owl. i've heard there are bats here but have never seen one with my own two eyes. until now...
i googled it and found out it's called the Hawaiian hoary bat or Ope'ape'a and i like 'em because they supposedly eat bugs. this is what it looks like:

photos from google

oh, and while i'm being random, how about a button giveaway!!! i'm going with megan's suggestion, so leave your name and which one you want and i will pick a winner out of a hat on Sunday evening. and then you will get what you've always wanted -- a button (?!) of your very own!!! (to do whatever your little heart desires with). sounds lame, wow, yeah, a BUTTON. i got a BUTTON, people. a BUTTON (that line totally reminded me of Sandra Bullock in Speed when she said that line about the gum on her seat...totally random, i know...). woop. woop. i guess i'll put it on a rubberband for a cute ponytail holder just like i saw Stephanie wearing (that i guess Melissa made?). leave a comment and check back here Monday morning to see if you won! and if you only knew how easy (and fun) it was to make your own...some of you do. i need to go to bed and stop rambling already. g'night.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

yahoooo!!! i want ALL OF THEM!!! greedy greedy greedy :)

but if i HAD to choose just one i would pick the octopus so PLEASE pick me.

you know ill wear it. a little too much ;)

echo said...

COOL!! i love a button giveaway.
i want the one on the bottom left. red with the flowers.

Melissa said...

oooh please me, and can I have them all please? I can't pick just one. but...if I have to i would pick hmmm

well on the top row i would pick the first, the third or the fourth

and the second row the first one... if I HAD to pick just one I would pick the first one on the second row.

Wow! you have some good fabrics friend. actually would you mind telling me what the fabrics are for the ones I listed? I would like to look at them full scale.

also i've been meaning to tell you that the stuff i put behind the embroidery is a mystery to me. I was looking through the wall of interfacing at fabric mart kaneohe, for it because I have seen it at shirts and stuff from stores with embroidery on it, and then I saw it. I just grabbed it and hoped it would work.
It looks like silky garments almost but thinner and it has a bumpy side that you can iron on.

and yes, we should actually hang out one of these days eh!? it had been a while.

Melissa said...

actually you know what? I think i want the first or the third one from the top row more...i told you i cant decide! :)

stef j. said...

am i weird for thinking the bat is kinda cute ...