1.30.2010

buttermilk pancakes


most saturdays i make them.
they are nice and fluffy and yummy.
you can add bananas or whatever you want to them - be creative.
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbs. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. milk
3 Tbs. oil
Combine dry. Whisk wet. Add dry to wet and stir until just combined and lumpy.
To make my buttermilk, I use distilled white vinegar and regular milk. I put a tablespoon (or two - hehe, think science project volcano here, the vinegar reacts with the baking soda and baking powder and that's what makes the pancakes puffy {at least that's my take on it} you can use lemon juice or vinegar, but i find the vinegar works best. just pour some vinegar and add the milk to it, allowing it to sit for a few minutes to work its magic).
*Also, leave the pancake batter lumpy, if you try to get rid of the lumps then your pancakes will be FLAT!!!
*oh, and just a tip for the hawaii people - an old lady in my home ward told us to put bay leaves in our flour to prevent weevils and other little critters from living in it. it works!! so if you have a big stash of flour in a bucket (or even a little one like me), just put a few bay leaves in there and the bugs won't bother it. don't eat the bay leaves, just leave em in there. and i leave them in there for several flour refills, when they start falling apart is when you may wanna replace them with new leaves.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

we made oatmeal pancakes! the ones from the recipe book that is. yum. :)

Megan and Keli'i said...

Ooooo. Yum.

Jessica said...

Yea! What a neato blog you have! Can I just tell you how awesome you are! I love your goal list. I have an embroidery machine, we should have an embroidery party! Any way, you are so beautiful and talented and I love your blog!

ashley said...

mmmmmmmmmmm.

and what a great idea- bay leaves, who would have thought!

Scotts of Paradise said...

I put my flour in the freezer and then take it out. It kills the bugs. Just put it in overnight and then leave it out. May have to try the bay leave trick though.

carrie @ the boonie life said...

those look dang tasty. thanks for the bay leaf idea; i hate them weevils! okay, baking soda and vinegar - my kids love to make volcanoes - but never thought of the reaction to make things fluffier. Genius!
And, btw, the cow colostrum is for the abandoned newborn calves. I guess that was sorta random.

Stephanie said...

dee gave me something to give to you and i think you're gonna want it..... :)