9.15.2010

lately

I work Tuesdays and Thursdays with a chiropractor in Kahuku.  I wake up at 5:45 a.m., that's when my alarm goes off but sometimes I snooze for a bit.  Some days it's hard waking up before the sun.  I wake Malik up to get dressed and fed.  Gather our lunches and snacks and head out at 6:30.  I drop Malik off at my aunty's house and then I go to work.  I start at 7a.m.  My day ends at 6p.m.  That's 11 hours.  I usually do 9 massages, so I get a lunch break and another hour to rest or wash sheets or help around the office.  Some days are slower, others more crazy.  But I am grateful and the day flies by.  When Malik gets out of school, my aunty picks him up.  He is absolutely loving preschool and is super-stoked to now have homework.  Let's hope that enthusiasm never wanes!  I then go and pick him up on my way home.  I love seeing him smudged with dirt from playing.  I hug him and kiss his sweaty head. 
Doug gets Faith ready for school and drops her off on his way to work.  He TRIES to do her hair and I just smile (sometimes scowl, depending on my mood) when I see all the unbrushed tangles when I get home.  She keeps asking me to cut her hair short again.  I just might.  I enrolled her in A+ and she LOVES it.  I don't, but I'm glad it's an option.  Reading is not her favorite thing in the world, she seems to like math a lot more.  I love Kaaawa Elementary.  It is such a small school, the parents and community are very involved, and they got the best AYP scores in the complex (beat in math by another school by 1% -- but then again, I don't think that those tests are a sufficient means of measuring a childs intellect or their strengths, but that's a whole other post...) it's just very close-knit and there are a lot of activities that involve the whole family.  And I'm hoping it doesn't close.  Doug picks her up on his way home and usually feeds her dinner and gives her a bath, but she's so independent these days she showers herself.  We just have to turn the shower on for her.  When I get home, I scoop her up and give her big fat hugs and kisses.  
I just got called as second counselor in the Young Women's program and I am sooo excited!!  Yesterday I picked Malik up after work and we headed straight to mutual (the mid-week activity...is it still called that??), which starts at 7p.m.  I get to be involved with some fun leaders and girls and pray I can fulfill my calling to the best of my abilities.  My mom has the same calling in her ward.
After we put the kids to bed, I usually choose to Netflix, read, or sleep.  The days are long and I am grateful it happens only twice a week.  The other days are spent doing laundry and trying to keep my little home tidy.  You know, being mom.  I always think to myself that I will rest and sleep, but that never happens.  
The blog, facebook, and the rest of the www have been put on the backburner.  And I'm okay with that. 
Oh, and I need a new phone.  I know I keep saying that, and one day I will get myself a new one.  Right now I can receive texts but I can't reply.  It says to try again later.  It's been saying that for two weeks now.  I'm gonna kill it soon.       

7 comments:

Chant'e said...

wow, your tuesday's are so busy. i'm glad that you're still excited about being in YW even though it's held on a tuesday night. i'm sure your husband and daughter are anxious for you to get home then. mutual is actually what you call an activity with the ym and yw. all the other tuesdays with just the yw are called...hmm...young women? haha. idk. anyways, i'm so excited to have you in the presidency, the girls (and leaders) are going to fall in love with having you as our counselor!

Rach said...

I love the embroidery, it turned out well. Love the sunset, simply BEAUTIFUL!

Stephanie said...

I am really grateful for this tidy little update into the life of liko. You have a really beautiful life full of love and so many good things. I am glad to get to be a part of it when we get the chance! Love you.

echo said...

your embroidery turned out great!!!
and i do love your updates on here since i don't get to see as much as i want during the week. :)

mrs. ho said...

long days. ug. good tho, make you appreciate your days off so much more, ya. that's so funny about doug-- i got lucky with makana doing all you and your sister's hair for so many years, he's a pro. it still wigs me out that malik is in school now, he was still a little guy last time we saw him.

Megan and Keli'i said...

Dang Liko! You are one busy Momma. Just a thought, I don't mind watching faith after school on days you work. If ever you really don't want to send her to A+, let me know. I seriously would be happy to get her, even if she has no idea who I am :).

Let me know if you ever need anything. I know how hard it is to be a working Momma, and those long days too.

ashley said...

your the queen of french knots! love how it turned out!

and busy busy busy! sorry i didn't chat longer the other day when you were on your break- i really needed to get that cup to pee in. when i came back out a min later you were gone :( hopefully i will see you this tuesday- 2:30